Program Description and Timeline
The goal of early admission is to provide students the opportunity to focus on other academic pursuits by providing relief from the ordinary pressures of the application process, MCAT preparation, and interviews during junior and senior year. These pursuits should demonstrate a commitment to a life in medicine and should be related to some aspect of healthcare. Students describe these academic interests and goals in a formal proposal, designed and submitted by the student to the members of the Pre-Health Recommendation Committee (PHRC) and the SOM. Proposals are reviewed by the PHRC and students are selected on the basis of academic credentials, seriousness and thoughtfulness of the proposal, strength of their interview, and overall preparedness for medical study.
Please be aware of the following program deadlines and timeline for 2020 applicants:
- November 12, 2019 – attend general information session with Dean Canlas (sophomores) 5-6pm, WGR 208
- January 8 – February 7, 2020- schedule a pre-interview with Dean Canlas – The first step in preparing your EAP application is to meet with Dean Canlas in ICC 303 about whether this program is a good fit for you. During the meeting you will discuss your current academic plan, ideas for your program proposal, and the application process. You must complete your meeting by Friday, February 7. You may schedule an appointment by sending an email to email@example.com in which you propose at least 2-3 possible meeting times. Budget about 30 minutes for this meeting.
- January 22, 2020 – attend College information session with Dean Canlas on EAP (sophomores) 4-5pm, 119 ICC. During this session, Dean Canlas will walk students through the application materials in greater detail and provide instructions and advice on completing the required forms.
- February 5, 2020 at 11:30am-12:30pm : attend SOM information session on EAP, Med-Dent SW 107
- begin drafting your proposal
- solicit letters of recommendation using the reference request form
- receive PHRC advisor assignment (by February 17)
- schedule a meeting (or a few!) with your PHRC mentor to hone your proposal. You should have sent an initial draft to your mentor in advance of your first meeting. (February 17 – March 20)
- March 26, 2020 – submit final application package to the Pre-Health Advising Office, 108 White Gravenor by 5:00pm. Submission of the application package includes the completed application, final proposal, and PHRC resume form. Letters of recommendation should be submitted directly by your reviewer to the Pre-Health office (108 White-Gravenor or pdf e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- PHRC meets to review applications and decide whom to send forward to the SOM (early April)
- PHRC submits recommendations to SOM and SOM determines whom they wish to interview (early April)
- schedule mock interview with Career Center (mid to late April)
- attend interview scheduled by Georgetown SOM (typically during finals period.)
- interview process completed and accepted students notified by SOM
Note, that the dates/times listed above are subject to change.