Program Description and Timeline
The goal of early admission is to provide students the opportunity to focus on other academic pursuits by providing relief from the ordinary pressures of the application process, MCAT preparation, and interviews during junior and senior year. These pursuits should demonstrate a commitment to a life in medicine and should be related to some aspect of healthcare. Students describe these academic interests and goals in a formal proposal, designed and submitted by the student to the members of the Pre-Health Recommendation Committee (PHRC) and the SOM. Proposals are reviewed by the PHRC and students are selected on the basis of academic credentials, seriousness and thoughtfulness of the proposal, strength of their interview, and overall preparedness for medical study.
Please be aware of the following program deadlines and timeline for 2021 applicants:
- November 10, 2021 – attend general information session with Lucy Cherner and Dr. Mary Beth Connell (sophomores) 5-6pm, Reiss 103 and Zoom
- January 12– February 14, 2022- schedule a pre-interview with Lucy Cherner, Assistant Director for Pre-Health Advising – The first step in preparing your EAP application is to meet with Lucy Cherner about whether this program is a good fit for you. During the meeting you will discuss your current academic plan, ideas for your program proposal, and the application process. You must complete your meeting by Monday, February 14. Please schedule an appointment on Ms. Cherner’s appointment calendar. Budget about 30 minutes for this meeting.
- January 25th, 2022 4PM EST – attend College information session with Lucy Cherner on EAP (sophomores). During this session, Ms. Cherner will walk students through the application materials in greater detail and provide instructions and advice on completing the required forms.
- February 8, 2022 at 4pm ET : attend SOM information session on EAP via Zoom.
- begin drafting your proposal
- solicit letters of recommendation using the reference request form
- receive PHRC advisor assignment (by February 18)
- The Committee looks at transcripts as part of its review. It is not necessary for applicants to submit their Georgetown transcript to the Committee. If you have taken any courses at a school other than Georgetown, we will obtain a copy of your transcript(s) from your record. In the case that your other transcripts are not on file, we will ask you to have your official transcript/s mailed to either email@example.com or by mail. Electronic transcripts are preferred.
Pre-Health Rec Committee
Attn: Lucy Cherner
Washington DC 20057
- schedule a meeting (or a few!) with your PHRC mentor to hone your proposal. You should have sent an initial draft to your mentor in advance of your first meeting. (February 22 – March 20)
- March 22nd, 2022 11:59PM EST- submit final application documents via the following FORM. Submission of the application package includes 1. the completed application, 2. two year plan chart, 3. final proposal essay, and 4. resume form. Please title each document with your First Name and Last Name. You can upload each separately as a PDF or preferably compile into one PDF document.
- March 25th, 2022- Letters of recommendation are due and should be submitted directly by your reviewer to the Pre-Health office. Letters should be submitted to the following FORM. If the letter writer cannot access the form, they may email the letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver the hard copy to 108 White-Gravenor.
- The Pre-Health Recommendation Committee (PHRC) meets to review applications and decide whom to send forward to the SOM (early April)
- The PHRC submits recommendations to SOM and SOM determines whom they wish to interview (early April)
- schedule mock interview with Career Center (mid to late April)
- April 16th, 2022- Georgetown SOM Application deadline
May 12th-17th, 2022
- attend interview scheduled by Georgetown SOM
- interview process completed and accepted students notified by SOM
Note, that the dates/times listed above are subject to change.