Who Should Apply?
The Georgetown Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program is designed for qualified “career-changer” students who have finished their undergraduate degrees, but lack all or most of the core pre-med science courses (Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, or Math). The program is not appropriate for those who have completed the basic pre-med courses and wish to enroll only in advanced coursework. The program is also not intended for those who want to improve their GPA by repeating basic pre-med courses that they have already completed. Students in these categories should consider other programs offered by Georgetown University.
A typical successful applicant to the Post-Bac Pre-Med program:
- Is a US Citizen or Permanent Resident. We do not accept international students who require a visa at this time. For example, we cannot accept Canadian citizens at this time.
- Completed a four-year undergraduate degree at an accredited US University OR is a US Citizen who completed an international bachelor’s degree.
- An undergraduate degree is from an institution where courses are primarily in-person. Virtual coursework will be accepted during the Covid-19 pandemic semester(s) when universities moved to virtual learning but provided in-person learning before and after the pandemic.
Examples of universities with online Bachelor’s degrees that we cannot admit: University of Maryland University College, University of Maryland Global Campus, and others.
- Needs to complete most or all of the prereqs for the relevant field and can reasonably complete 30 credits in our program
- Please DO NOT apply to the program if you have completed at least three of your sciences elsewhere (for example if you have completed BIO I and II, Chem I and II, and Physics I and II) in the last five years.
- Many medical schools prefer that prerequisite coursework is not older than 5 or 10 years old. Please contact your medical schools of interest if you fall in this category. If you need to repeat old coursework you qualify for this program.
- Students who may have already completed a prereq course before coming to Georgetown will complete the remaining requirements and may take additional science or math electives to reach the 30-credit hour requirement.
- Applicants who have not completed one year of college math, consisting of either Calculus I and II, or Calculus I and a Statistics course, will be expected to complete these courses within the certificate program.
- Has an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.2
- Has at least a “B” or above in any science or math coursework taken as an undergraduate
- Understands and can articulate his or her motivation for entering the field of medicine
- Has tested his or her commitment to the field in volunteer, work, shadowing or other activities
- If you are unable to obtain experience in the medical field due to the COVID-19 pandemic or other circumstances, the Admissions Committee will look for other examples of your work or volunteering which demonstrate care for others, compassion, and other qualities important in a physician.
- Has the support of a former professor, mentor, or other professional
We admit up to approximately 30 students for summer or fall start dates and a few students for the spring semester.
*Please see the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.